On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> Hi, Ed,
>
> I don't know everything about e-mail, although I do send and receive
> e-mail from time to time.
>
> I would be interested in reading reasons from others why this is a bad
> idea. It seems interesting to me.
>
> The only thing I'm wondering about is, since all the press reports
> about recent viruses say they set up zombie networks, I'm wondering if
> placing a CPU burden on someone who controls 100,000 PCs is harder
> than you think...

This would scale terribly in so many ways, and ultimately would be no
more effective than anti-spam methodologies already in place.  A
whitelist is a whitelist, esig or not.  How does this in any way alter
the flow of SPAM or a spambot's operation other than to add a step?

Anything at all that generates a bounce message on a mass-produced
mailing acts as a "damage amplifier" from the basic internet backbone's
point of view -- at least doubling the associated automated traffic and
wasted/misused resources.  These days such a bounce is especially
fruitless, as all viruses and quite a lot of SPAM have forged headers
that the stupid bounce agents cannot or do not parse.

This is pet peeve of mine as it is -- I got (and continue to get) more
bounce messages from mydoom reporting that mail "from me" is
contaminated than I do copies of the virus itself.  No virus for two
years now hasn't forged mail headers -- the From field is totally
irrelevant in all current viruses-- yet all the AV programs in the world
think they are doing you a favor. NOT.

Now imagine that sort of stupidity scaled out so that every MTA in the
world is checking esigs and bouncing improperly signed mail.  Imagine
the loops created when a legacy mailer or improperly configured mailer
bounces the bounce messages back to the bouncer, to be bounced again.
Nightmarish.

   rgb

--
Robert G. Brown                        http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305