On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, jfcm wrote:
> ".tel" and ".mobi" are technically inconsistent propositions. They confuse
> what belongs to the scheme (protocol/application) with what  belongs to the
> naming (users group). The same as was ".web" did in 2000.
>
> To better understand, let take the mnemonic "IBM" and its ASCII domain name
> "ibm.com".
> - when I enter http://ibm.com I expect to reach the IBM web site in using
> the HTTP protocol.
> - when I enter tel://ibm.com I expect to reach the IBM switchboard (once
> the current VoIP delaying confusion is cleared).
> - what will I expect to reach when entering http://ibm.tel, and what is
> tel://ibm.tel adding to me ?

I have to digest the rest of this further, but I would say right away that
if I connect to http://ibm.tel, I'd probably expect to reach the VOIP
portal, where I could sign up for VOIP services from IBM.  I'd expect that
a voip connection to tel://ibm.com would get me to the headquarters
switchboard, and that tel://ibm.tel gets me to the VOIP switchboard (ie
VOIP customer service).

Similarly, I'd expect that tel://ibm.mobi gets me to the IBM Cellular
switchboard.

I recall that gte internetworking used gte.com for internal corporate
addresses and gte.net for customer addresses. Some companies use
subdomains for such purposes.

                --Dean