--On Friday, 28 January, 2005 11:54 -0500 Dean Anderson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Scott W Brim wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 03:02:00PM +0100, Harald Tveit Alvestrand
>> allegedly wrote:
>> >    The request for review is addressed to the IAOC chair
>> >    and should include a description of the decision or
>> >    action to be reviewed, an explanation of how the
>> >    decision or action violates the BCPs or
>>
>> violates -> is presumed to violate
>
> The text is correct as is. "Presume" is to "assume before".
> Indeed, perhaps the decision under review may be presumed not
> to violate before  the review concludes otherwise.
>
> The explanation to be given to the review is about how and why
> the decision under review should be found to violate
> something. It would be  incorrect to say "...an explanation of
> how the decision or action is  presumed to violate the BCPs..."

Yeah, but the original text isn't right either.

"...believed to violate..."
"...putatively violates..."
"...alleged to violate..."

and other phrases would, I think, satisfy both Scott's concerns
and yours.

These are the sort of language/presentation details that I wish
we could assume that final editing would straighten out.  It is
not a good sign that we think we need to fix them on the IETF
list.

   john