my detailed notes below ...

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

> At 18:27 08/03/2006, Carl Malamud wrote:
>
> > > It's been pointed out that the note to DoC was actually sent by
> > > the IAB and the IETF *Chair* not the IETF as whole.
> > >
> > > Obviously, the timescale of this RFI was too short for the
> > > IETF as a whole to debate a response. In fact, it was even too short
> > > for us to spot this nit.
> >
> >Or to run a spell checker?  It would have been better to not answer
> >instead of doing such a haphazard job.  This was not an effective
> >document either in terms of process or substance.
>
> Dear Carl,
> the problem is that IETF and IAB do not want to accept the real world.
> http://www.interfax.cn/showfeature.asp?aid=10717

I strongly support this move by china.  t is about time that IANA
recognize the obvious - open up the root.  This is a good start.  China is
quick to learn the technological trap they have fallen into.  They need
ICANN as much as ICANN needs them.  It also shows a very interesting
simularity to what happened at the Public-Root.  There we had Turey as our
partner - like the chinese - not the best of human rights partners but
partners non the less brougt together through necessitty.

> And the real  world is catching up. The USG is in a real world.
> Their, our world.
>
> What to do now?

will they wake up to reality - what we will see is a compromise.  but they
chinese are ball breakers - and I think it's high time someone break some
balls at ICANN.  Go china go.

> - to ignore? possibly losing control on the IANA.
> - to adapt in creating an IETF server? possibly creating a mess for
> nothing if they do not sell? worse if they sell?
> - lto ead in reviewing the architecture towards a fully distributed
> network with concerted IANA, one a country? a language?
>
> NOT an easy choice. But a choice which has to be made.

The PublicRoot structure is the ultimate choice framework which provides
for shared operability.

regards
joe