On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 07:49:46AM -0800, Michael Thomas wrote:

> Maybe there's an intermediate between email and full f2f time?
> Something like having well known jabber chats to simulate the
> quickness of f2f conversation without having to be there? There
> is some amount of precedence for this with the IESG's telechats.
> They could be structured like regular wg meetings with moderation,
> etc for well known ones, and the same room could be reused for
> ad hoc/sidebar discussions when not in use.

Well, if we make remote participation too good, we may end up with
rather empty meeting rooms and a bankrupt IETF ;)

What we should do, given the rush of work that happens pre-ID cutoff,
is maybe look at such technology for interim meetings, and have the
IETF support some infrastructure to help interim meetings run more
effectively, maybe even without a physical meeting venue.   Some WGs
might then run more interim virtual meetings and help distribute the
workload over the year more smoothly.

--
Tim/::1