    Hallam-Baker,> There is another problem to do with consensus and
    Hallam-Baker,> the status quo.  Say we have a situation where a
    Hallam-Baker,> clear majority of a working group believes that a
    Hallam-Baker,> spec is unworkable unless a particular change is
    Hallam-Baker,> made. A small minority opposes the change for
    Hallam-Baker,> ideological reasons.

    Hallam-Baker,> Should the outcome in this case be:

    Hallam-Baker,> 1) Neither proposal can advance until there is
    Hallam-Baker,> consensus

Steve answered part of this.

If the minority is large enough--and I think that reasonably small is
large enough--then I think 1) is the right outcome.

Often you can get consensus on a way to break the deadlock even if you
can't get consensus on the issue directly.

There are a lot of things you as a chair can do to try and break these
deadlocks.  Ultimately, though, if you can't get consensus you can't
get consensus.

I realize we disagree on this point, but ideology is a fine reason in
my mind to fail to have consensus.