Thierry Ernst wrote:
> Keith Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> In principle I would be against charging, but my experience of being a
>>> chair makes me believe that many authors have no reason to publish
>>> their I-D which are just a burden to the I-D secretariat and thus the
>>> entire IETF community.
>>>
>> that's a really amazing statement.  If I were participating in a WG
>> whose chair had that attitude, I'd be lobbying hard with the IESG for
>> another chair, as I'd suspect that the incumbent chair was
>> inappropriately hostile to introduction of new ideas within the WG.
>>

> Sorry, what "attitude" are you talking about here ? I was speaking
> about people who publish drafts but never say a word to anyone about
> their draft. What's the purpose ?
it used to be the case that merely publishing a draft would get some
attention for it.  these days, that amount of attention is probably very
small.

also, publishing an I-D might be useful for other reasons - e.g. to
establish prior art in case an idea or invention in the draft is ever
patented by someone else.

and how do you know that the authors never say a word to anyone about
their draft?
> If the purpose is to get new ideas
> through, I don't see how publishing a draft and non advertising is
> useful for the sender (it may for the reader). But more importantly, I
> don't see what you see as "hostile" in the observation above.

perhaps I misunderstood.  I just don't want to further raise the barrier
for publishing I-Ds, because it's easier for the community to deal with
ideas published in that form than, say, on a web page or blog.

Keith