Charging for IDs will kill innovation. I use IDs to float ideas which may or may not bear fruition. I would not work on these if I had to pay. I also work on things at the IETF than my employer does not sponsor. These things will get thrown out as well.

Since we have started slaughtering the sacred cows (free {ids,mailing lists, rfcs ...}), I might as well suggest few more.

* Make remote participants share the costs. i.e. charge for live audio/video feeds. I believe this is fairer than charging for ids, rfcs or mailing lists. People who want to participate, but are unable to travel can get these for a lower meeting fee (25% maybe).

* Get some kind of corporate sponsorships for supporting free documents (kind of like IEEE get 802)

* Cut back on the food and beverages

I would be unhappy with some of these things, but at least they still retain the openness of the IETF and are reasonably fair.

Cheers
Suresh