Julian Reschke wrote:

>> People can read/edit their local characters.
>> People can't read/edit local characters of other people.

> A conservative approach would be:
>
> 1) allow non-ASCII contact information *in addition* to the ASCII version
>
> 2) allow non-ASCII in I18N example

No. The conservative approach currently deployed is to have ASCII
contact information only, which is enough.

> for 1), it really doesn't matter whether everybody can read it;
> just stick with the ASCII version
> for 2), we should be able to identify a few non-ASCII characters that
> are suitable for use in I18N examples which *do* work widely (a few
> greek characters?)

Greek capital letter 'A', which is identical to Latin chapital
letter 'A', is already tooooo much.

> The current version is 4.01, and it has been stable since 1999. The next
> version, 5, is approaching Last Call, and is unlikely to break anything
> that is actually in use.

With more than 40 years of history of RFC, HTML is unstable.

> Even compatible ones? Just asking...

Tools does not support restricted profile very well, as was
demonstrated by a circled 'R' character in a
claimed-to-be-pure-ASCII PDF.

                                                        Masataka Ohta