Actually, if you knew Morse code you would know that it is SOS, an
in-band signal consisting of ...---... not the letters S-O-S.

As far as being trapped in a building, any regular pattern of bangs is
going to be picked up and acted on.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Jorge Amodio <jmamo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hal...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> Since nobody was using teleprinters 500 years ago the introduction of
>> them here as a point of difference is ridiculous.
>>
>> And the idea that HTML is any less stable than the hacks people have
>> developed to make non-ASCII characters work in ASCII is totally
>> absurd. We can reasonably expect that within the next ten, twenty
>> years, handwriting recognition will render such hacks obsolete and the
>> memory of them will be as obscure as Morse code is today.
>
> I'd love to see you trapped in a basement after an earthquake with
> only a stick trying to remember how to tap S-O-S.
>
> Hard to believe but Morse is still in use and required for certain
> classes of radio operators.
>
> Cheers
> Jorge

New Website: http://hallambaker.com/
View Quantum of Stupid podcasts, Tuesday and Thursday each week,
http://quantumofstupid.com/