Douglas Otis wrote:

> On 5/17/10 10:06 AM, Joe Touch wrote:
> > My point here is that if you're discussing alternatives, you need to
> > address why this alternative was not used. There may be useful reasons
> > (in specific, using a separate command allows you to reuse some error
> > codes more usefully), but you're also incurring an extra round trip,
> > which people tend to count these days.
> >
> Joe,
>
> The use of AUTH follows HOST and precedes USER and PASS.  Your
> suggestion of combining USER+HOST exposes USER.
>
> International consensus was reached between the ISO, IETF, ITU, and
> UNCEFACT on use of UTF-8 for interoperability.  However, this draft
> requires Puny-code input for international domain names.  While
> Puny-code allows IDNs to be encoded using ASCII, Puny-code is not
> intended as a human interface, nor is Puny-code interoperable with
> existing name services, and certificate validations.  Distinguished
> names in certs are UTF-8 encoded.   Local name services such as LLMNR,
> mDNS or Bonjour resolve domain names using UTF-8 queries.

There may be a misunderstanding.

When performing server endpoint identification (similar to what is
suggested for HTTP over TLS in rfc-2818), then the prefered method
is to match against dNSName subjectAltNames, which are IA5String.

Hostnames in the CN= part of certificates are also pure IA5Strings,
because hostnames were pure IA5Strings when this scheme was
originally devised and it has been deprecated many years ago.

-Martin