On 8/28/10 10:29 AM, Mary Barnes wrote:
> So, if all you guys (and it's been all guys from what I've seen) would
> just consider how you would feel if you either had access to very
> little food (think 4 days without a real meal and subsisting on
> illegally imported nuts and dried fruit for 4 days)  or if your
> wife/daughters/girlfriends  were having to travel alone on a train
> late at night or navigate a city they don't know alone at nite, then
> perhaps you'll have a modicum of insight into some of these concerns.
> [BTW, the information on safety on the host site were certainly not
> relevant to my personal concerns].

The incidence of rape in the netherlands is about 1/3 that of the city
in which you normally live in, the homocide rate is 1/15. certain kinds
of property crime are known to be pretty high. By most measures of
personal well-being the netherlands is one of the safest countries in
the world.

You stood at least an order of magnitude higher probability of being
accosted or assulted on the street when we were situated in the
tenderlion in san franciso, so either you're a fairly bad judge of
relative risk (most humans are) or the unfamilar has produced uncessary
concerns.