On Nov 11, 2010, at 8:39 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> I've no problem with the badge being checked, and I think, at least in my
> case, it has been done in a very non-intrusive way. It increase the security
> for our personal staff and IETF/hosts properties, so that's good and it also
> helps to avoid people not paying to enter for free.
>
> However, I'm more concerned about something related. I've been observing
> since several meetings ago that some people that show as "non-paid" have got
> their badges (or at least I see them in the meetings), and I think some of
> them appear in many consecutive meetings.
>
> I understand that a small number of people is part of the host team, or
> future host, NOC, etc., and I see they appear as "Comp" and/or Host.
>
> Not sure if Comp stands for Complementary? If that's the case, I think it
> needs to be MORE obvious if is just complementary for an unknown (to most of
> us I guess) reason or is all part of the host/next host/NOC.

Dear Jordi;

It's American slang for complementary. It is generally viewed as a verb, but
generally used as an adjective (as in, "he wanted a comped ticket for his
efforts").

Hosts get comped tickets, which they of course are really paying for in their
sponsorship.

Some full-time volunteers also get comped tickets. They work incredibly hard to
make the
meeting a success and I, for one, do not begrudge them that.

Please note that the IAOC does not get comped tickets.

Regards
Marshall