Hi Jason,
At 11:48 02-05-2011, Livingood, Jason wrote:
In any of the various IPv6 fora (including v6ops at the IETF) "DNS
Whitelisting" is how this practice is typically labeled. When writing the
draft I felt this could be confusing outside of IPv6 circles and so
lengthened it to "IPv6 DNS AAAA Whitelisting" in the title.

In any case, "I don't like what it is called" is difficult to act on. ;-)
If there are recommendations on alternatives, I'm all ears.

Repurposing a sentence from the draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implications-03:

  "By engaging in a DNS tradeoff, they are attempting to
   shield users with impaired access from the symptoms of those
   impairments."

Web content providers use a DNS tradeoff to avoid losing quality and money as most ISPs are reluctant to pour money into IPv6. At least Comcast has a plan to provide each of their users with 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPv6 addresses.

Given that draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implications has been reviewed by DNSOP and v6ops, and that the intended status is Informational, it is difficult to give it a "DNP". RFC 3901 mentions "Policy Based Avoidance of Name Space Fragmentation". The DNS technique used in the draft (split-view) contributes to name space fragmentation.

If you wanted to argue for "DNP", you could have the following text from the v6ops Charter at the bottom of the list:

 "IPv6 operational and deployment issues with specific protocols or
  technologies (such as Applications, Transport Protocols, Routing
  Protocols, DNS or Sub-IP Protocols) are the primary responsibility of
  the groups or areas responsible for those protocols or technologies.
  However, the v6ops WG may provide input to those areas/groups, as
  needed, and cooperate with those areas/groups in reviewing solutions
  to IPv6 operational and deployment problems."

If you want to argue against "DNP", you can always say that you are merely documenting the stupid things people have to do get IPv6 deployed.

I am stupid but I am not that stupid to go and argue about a draft that has been blessed by DNSOP and v6ops. :-) Andrew Sullivan mentioned WCP [1]. That RFC sub-series does not exist yet. The best fit is FYI.

As a comment that will not be considered as part of the Last Call, I would have given the draft a DNP if I had to review it. I don't have to say that as the draft already got a five DISCUSS rating. That won't prevent a well-known search engine from deploying the mechanism described in this draft. Someone might come to me and say that "well-known search does this, why can't you do it; it's even a RFC". I'll read the Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy to see whether I can find an answer to that. :-)

On an unrelated note, there was a mistake in the message I posted previously [2]. The last sentence should be read as:

As I do not meet the religious requirements, I cannot take a position on this draft.

Regards,
-sm

1. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg66311.html
2. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg66203.html