On Jun 9, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Keith Moore <mo...@network-heretics.com>
> wrote:
> I suppose we should just tunnel the whole IPv6 network over IPv4 + HTTP then.
>
> Seriously, the argument that 6to4 should be trashed because ISPs are blocking
> tunnels has the flavor of "don't solve the problem, but rather, stamp out the
> solution".
>
> Actually, this mostly happens in enterprise networks and universities. I
> don't see why they would want to change this compared to, say, actually
> deploying native IPv6.

Well if an enterprise network wants to firewall certain kinds of traffic,
that's its own business.  The fact that some enterprises firewall ip-over-ip
tunnels is not a justification for IETF trashing one particular kind of ip
tunnel.

>> In a similar way as Geoff measured 6to4 - looking at SYNs.
>
> From where?   Again, the tunnels aren't taking the variety of paths that 6to4
> connections are.  It's that variety that makes measurements such as Geoff's
> at all useful - it's what lets you at least believe that the measurements
> made at a few points are representative of the whole.
>
> From the same place that he ran the 6to4 measurements from?

See above.  It's not a valid measurement.   Or the measurement is fine, but
comparisons between configured tunnels and 6to4 on the basis of such
measurements are not valid.

> A few months ago I was trying to set one up, but I ran out of time.   I'm
> really busy these days, and it's nowhere nearly as easy to set up a
> configured tunnel as it is to set up 6to4.
>
> Go to http://tunnelbroker.net/ . I'm willing to bet that it will take a lot
> less time than you have spent writing email on this thread. :-)

That's who I was using before.

Keith