--On Saturday, July 16, 2011 20:27 -0700 "Murray S. Kucherawy"
<m...@cloudmark.com> wrote:

> [...]

I certainly would not claim it is the prevailing opinion.  I
believe it is true and have seen it in action many times but,
beyond that, have no idea.   Also remember that the Standards
Track (including BCP or not), Experimmental, Informational,
Historic breakdown is somewhat orthogonal to the maturity levels
within Standards Track.

That said, I believe, based in part on consensus in at least one
WG that focused on the topic, that, as our standards have become
more complex, with more features, options, and interactions, the
embodiment of the "maturity level" idea as a single set of
category-identifiers has outlived its usefulness.  The reality
is that some features of a particular specification may be
well-tested and very mature while others may still be a bit
questionable and that some specifications may be more
appropriate to some environments and less appropriate to others.
>From that point of view, forcing entire protocols or
specifications into one category or another does both the IETF
community and the users of the specs a disservice: we should be
telling people what we think of a spec, how mature things are,
and what the issues are, if necessary on a
characteristic-by-characteristic basis, not pretending that
assignment of a label communicates significant information.
>From that point of view, reducing the number of categories
increases the odds of classifications being misleading and
communicating little real information, if only from "very
likely" to "near-certain".  But, again, that is just IMO.

    john