2011/7/19 Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net>:
>> Hi, I assume there is no interest in making DNS SRV mechanism exposed
>> in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ibc-websocket-dns-srv-02 part of
>> the WebSocket core specification, neither referencing it (in the same
>> way RFC 3261 "SIP protocol" mandates the usage of RFC 3263 "Locating
>> SIP servers").
>>
>> As said before, making such DNS SRV specification an extension (so
>> present in other document) will mean no success at all, as WebSocket
>> client implementors (i.e. webbrowser vendors) will not be mandated to
>> implement it and service providers could not rely on the support of
>> DNS SRV in web browsers. So nobody will use them (because IE10 decided
>> not to implement it, for example). IMHO this is sad due the real
>> advantages DNS SRV provides for a protocol like WebSocket.
>>
>> Yes, in HTTP there is no special DNS stuff, all the load-balancing and
>> failover mechanism are done at server side with very complex and
>> expensive solutions (www.facebook.com resolves to a single IPv4 !!!!).
>> The question is: should we also inherit every HTTP limitation in
>> WebSocket?
>
> I agree wholeheartedly with this, and strongly recommend that mandatory use
> of SRV is included in the core protocol.
>
> I think with HTTP's very short lived requests, then it's possible to work
> around the lack of SRV support (at a cost), but the benefit is markedly
> higher with the long-lived, stateful sessions we're anticipating with
> WebSocket.

Unfortunaltely it seems that the debate about DNS SRV support does not
interest to the core WG authors. I would like, at least, to receive
good arguments not to include/mandate DNS SRV support in the draft. If
not, the proposal is just being ignored with no reason.

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<i...@aliax.net>