On Nov 29, 2011, at 9:13 PM, Chris Donley wrote:

> Ron,
>
> One point of clarification, in your *against* list, you include:
>

> On 11/28/11 2:25 PM, "Ronald Bonica" <rbon...@juniper.net> wrote:
>
>> - Some applications will break. These applications share the
>> characteristic of assuming that an interface is globally reachable if it
>> is numbered by an non-RFC 1918 address. To date, the only application
>> that has been identified as breaking is 6to4, but others may be
>> identified in the future.
>
> Since this address space is between the CPE router and CGN device, and is
> therefore not globally routable, the same application(s) (e.g. 6to4) will
> break if public or 'squat' space are used instead of shared CGN space.
> Such applications rely on the home router detecting that there is private,
> non-globally routable space (i.e. RFC1918) on the WAN and disabling such
> an application.  While that same detection code will always fail for
> public address space and squat space since the exact range is not defined,
> there is the possibility of fixing the detection code in home routers if
> we do define shared CGN space for that purpose.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis-03 has this requirement:

   DLW-4:  If the IPv6 CE Router is configured with a public IPv4
           address on its WAN interface, where public IPv4 address is
           defined as any address which is not in the private IP address
           space specified in [RFC5735], then the IPv6 CE Router SHOULD
           disable the DS-Lite B4 element.

I'm not sure I personally agree with this requirement, but suffice to say if
this kind of language is popping up in our own v6ops documents at this very
moment, there is a decent chance that it has made its way into specifications
and code elsewhere.

- Mark