On Feb 24, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2012, at 4:54 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>
>>> "Proposals for new HTTP authentication schemes are in scope."
>>
>> How would a plan like the following look to folks:
>>
>> - httpbis is chartered to include auth mechanism work as
>> per the above (or whatever text goes into the charter)

<snip/>

>> Might that be a way forward that'll give enough folks
>> enough of what they want/need?
>

> It would, but I would like to give a counter-proposal that I think will use
> people's different talents better:
>
> - new wg on developing http authentication mechanisms is chartered soon (BoF
> in Paris); call it the ham wg
> - httpbis is chartered to follow the work of the ham wg and is required to
> make sure that the authentication framework in http 2.0 works for as many of
> the proposals from the ham wg as possible
> - ham wg is responsible for most of what you list above
> - http2.0 document says "the mandatory to implement auth mechanisms are named
> in that RFC over there", which comes from the ham wg
>
> There will be overlap in wg membership, but not nearly as much as would be
> needed for your proposal.

I like the idea, but there is always the danger of the HAM working group either
getting stuck with multiple non-interoperable proposals like we've seen at
IPsecME with the PAKE work.

There is also the possibility of getting stuck with conflicting requirements.
For example, there will be a need to use existing user databases
(RADIUS/DIAMETER servers, LDAP directories), but that is hard to reconcile with
the preference for ZKPs.

I'm not really worried, because HTTP/2.0 is bound to take a long time, and
there will be plenty of opportunity for chair and ADs to step in and intervene
if the wg actually does that.

On a more technical note, we are 12 days past the cutoff date for new BoF
session requests, so it's probably too late for a BoF in Paris.

Yoav