David:

> 1) In Section 1, goal #2, "Hierarchical Allocation", I believe a reference
> the definition in RFC 5226 - Section 4.1.  Well-Known IANA Policy
> Definitions, should be considered.

We could do so, but I do not believe that the few word in RFC 5226 on
hierarchical allocation improve the understanding of IP address allocation
being discussed here.

> 2) I also wonder if another appropriate goal would be explicitly defining the
> ASN and IP address registries using RFC 5226 language including the formal
> linkage to ICANN and the RIRs as the mechanism for IANA to implementing the
> Hierarchical Allocation of these registries. See: RFC 5226, section 4.3.
> "Updating IANA Guidelines for Existing Registries"
>
> The intention wouldn't be to override RFC 2860, ICANN Policy, or IR global
> policy, but to provide and explicit formal technical definition for these
> registries that really have only been implicitly defined to date as far as I
> can tell.  There are any number of other registries that are far less
> important overall, that have excellent formal technical definitions that
> comply with RFC 5226 or its predecessors. However, these our most important
> registries have no such formal technical definitions, I think its really time
> to fix this situation.
>
> That said, to the greatest extent possible we need a formal technical
> definition compliant with RFC 5226 of the as-is-state, not of the
> want-it-to-be-state.  Or, if I'm incorrect and there are formal technical
> definitions for these registries that comply with RFC 5226, or its
> predecessors, then they should be referenced in this document.

The top of the IPv6 Address Registry says:

 The IPv6 address management function was formally delegated to
 IANA in December 1995 [RFC1881]. The registration procedure
 was confirmed with the IETF Chair in March 2010.

RFC 1881 is short, but it seems to say the things that need to be said.

> 3) The last paragraph of Section 3, "Internet Numbers Registry Technical
> Considerations"  Says;
>
>   As the Internet and the Internet Numbers Registry System continue to
>   evolve, it may be necessary for the Internet community to examine
>   these and related technical and operational considerations and how
>   best to meet them.
>
> I wonder if it wouldn't be appropriate to at least provide some suggestions
> for how this is to be accomplished.  Maybe request that future RFCs related
> to these technical and operational considerations include an applicability
> statement as to the Internet Numbers Registry System, either in a separate
> section or maybe as a sub-section of the IANA Considerations.

This evolution is discussed in Section 4.  Maybe a forward pointer is needed.
Did you not find Section 4 sufficient?

Russ