> Pete, I like your position, but I believe "go read the archive" or the
> equivalent will continue to be a standard response unless someone is
> responsible for giving a more thorough response. Who do you think that
> should be?

If you've had the most fleeting look at this:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-extended-doc-shepherd/

... then you'll know what *my* answer to that question is.  Happily,
this document has an excellent shepherd (see the Most Excellent(tm)
shepherd report:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis/shepherdwriteup/
), who has been posting summaries and pointers throughout the
conversation.

Perhaps said shepherd could give even better pointers; if so, a quiet
message to him asking for specifics would surely be met with cheerful
diligence.

Barry