Hi Juan,

Without getting too much into detail, the trick is to introduce constraints that seem physically reasonable and see what happens. This requires you to use the "a priori" information you have about your system; i.e. the information you have from non-EXAFS theory or experiment.

Maybe, for instance, you believe your system to be a mixture of nanoscale fcc Pt and nanoscale Pt3Sn. Further, perhaps you believe the nanoparticles to be roughly round. In that case, only 3 parameters control all of the coordination numbers, no matter how many coordination shells you fit: the average size of the Pt particles, the average size of the Pt3Sn particles, and the fraction of particles which are Pt. From those three variables, all the coordination numbers can be computed. Actually, it's likely you also know the chemical composition; i.e. the ratio of platinum to tin atoms in the sample. If so, then you know the fraction of particles which are Pt, and that cuts down the number of variables to two. Perhaps you have TEM's, and that gives you a hint as to the sizes of the crystallites, so maybe that constrains things further.

But of course all this puts you out on a limb. How do you know these assumptions were correct? Well, if you try the fit and it doesn't work very well, then you can be pretty sure the assumptions were not correct, and you can try another set of plausible assumptions. If you try them, and if your fitted variables do work out plausibly and the fit is fairly close to the data, then maybe you're right and maybe you're not. But if you have other reasons for favoring the model you chose in the first place, then the whole thing makes a coherent scientific story, and can be revealed to the world (e.g. published) for others to support or challenge with their own work.

I tend to think of EXAFS as a great negative technique: it tells me when I'm wrong, but not when I'm right. But if EXAFS is at least able to say that I might be right, then I might be right, and I can proceed with my claim.

And yes, we're talking about pretty sophisticated uses of EXAFS here. I really do suggest you look at articles by any of the "experts" who frequent this list and see what they did in their studies. I think you'll find that in general there are a whole host of constraints used that are not =rigorously= justifiable, but seem reasonable for the system at hand. When I look in detail at one of those papers, I often think "hmmm...I would have done that differently." And yet more times than not, I believe they have properly characterized the substance. It's particularly funny to watch the courses that have been given by Bruce, Shelly, Matt, Anatoly, etc., because one of us is often in the back looking very quizzical while whoever is in front demonstrates how they would attack a particular problem. But we know that the bottom line is being a good scientist, and not whether one particular approach or another is used at any given time...

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College