Hi Subin,
  I have tried both SciLab and Octave. Both are appreciably easy on
system resources compared to MatLab. As for SciLab, it seems easy and
simple, but it is completely incompatible with Matlab (if you dont
take into account, the converters). So I couldn't use it much. It is a
good solution though, if you dont mind learning another language. And
as for octave, it is mostly compatible with Matlab, if you are careful
enough to avoid a few pitfalls. I actually like the fact that it is
driven from a command terminal (ofcourse, matlab style Koctave is
available), since it can use some of the nice features of the
terminal. But where it actually falters is graphics. Octave graphics
is nowhere close to that of Matlab, whether it be gnuplot, or octaviz
(both are buggy). Both need to improve considerably before they can
challenge MatLab. Ssorry to admit it, but looks/graphics do matter for
this. Anyone care to take this up, or help? Octaviz seems to be a good
one. But can be improved a lot.
  What we need to replace MatLab is something that can actually copy
MatLab's functionality. I dont usually hold this point of view, but in
case of numerical analysis, MatLab is the de-facto industry standard-
even for organisations like ISRO. It doesn't make sense for students
to learn another, less widely used language- since this is a seriously
practical issue. Octave can however take that position with a few
improvements.

  Subin, as for GEDA as a replacement for PSPICE, I was surprised a
little. GEDA is a design tool and PSPICE is
simulation tool. How were you able to substitute one for the other?
Were you refering to the schematic capture, perhaps? Anyways, GEDA
also seems to be lacking . It needs a lot of operations from command
line. Octave is fit to be run from command line, but not GEDA. Half
the operations are from GUI and half from command terminal. It needs
to be more integrated. A new fully integrated UI, may be a cross
platform one, can give GEDA a new lease of life. Something like
KICAD's UI. As of now, it is still a hackers' toy - not something you
would call production standard. Many may disagree with me on this, but
most users wont even try a design tool that requires them to touch the
command prompt. That's a shame considering how good the rest of GEDA
is.

  However these are simple issues that can be solved if someone takes
keen interest. We could arrange a GSoC project, or just outsource it.
Or we could even make an attempt to solve it ourselves if there are
enough takers for the idea. Anyone interested (with enough time at
hand)?

Regards,
Gokul Das