Hi Subin,

On Jan 6, 10:43 pm, "Subin Mathew" <subin.a.mat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The point you were saying
> A new fully integrated UI, may be a cross
> platform one, can give GEDA a new lease of life. Something like
> KICAD's UI. As of now, it is still a hackers' toy - not something you
> would call production standard. Many may disagree with me on this, but
> most users wont even try a design tool that requires them to touch the
> command prompt. That's a shame considering how good the rest of GEDA is.
> is nice, BUT is it possible?

Why not? They created Free OS, free browsers, free media frameworks,
free everything. How hard is it going to be to develop a new UI for an
already well developed app stack? Remember that even in Kerala, more
than enough talent is available to custom modify or develop software
to meet our requirements (eg: SMC). Anyone with enough experience in
GEDA and some toolkit should be able to do it (provided they have
time). On the other hand, if you dont want to get your hands dirty,
simply outsource the job. With small contributions from the user
community, there should be enough resources to employ an IT firm to do
that job (hmm, I need to ponder this!). There are a lot of firms that
has the ability and willingness to do so.

  At this point, that seems much easier than changing the quality of
education. That would require changing the mindset of an entire
generation of students and teaching staff. I am not against that idea-
but in practise, thats harder. Heck! I can't even get them to try
Firefox- how do I convince them to use GEDA? I try my best to
popularize free s/w too. But nobody cares! All they care about is
whether it is easy to use. Tell them about command prompt, and all
your efforts are in vain. I am not understating work of educators like
Ranjith sir or David sir, but ask them how many people take genuine
interest in their ideas and take over their work where they leave off.
That's why, a polished UI for these apps would help. You have to
admit- there are a lot of companies that sell crappy s/w with shiny
UIs. Even SPICE apps that we use at college are generations behind
GNUCAP etc- but they have simple UIs.

  Please do not take this as a deliberate criticism. I cherish work
done by people like you and David sir. I always look up to them to
provide guidance in my efforts. Also, I really like the idea of
standardization. Anyway, I would like to know how much support I would
get if I propose such a dev (outsourcing at the worst).

Regards,
Gokul Das