This question might seem strange, please do accept my apologies if I am
wrong , 'Can linux power saving modes destroy the hardware its running on?'
I installed Linux on my old system, It was my first experience with Linux
and I liked it and made it the default OS on my system. After two weeks I
decide to try the power saving mode i.e. the sleep mode since I didn't want
my computer to consume power. Everything went smoothly till the third time
it came out from the sleep mode, there was a loud sound and the motherboard
was fried. I believed it to be a hardware problem since it was a two year
old system(but heavily upgraded). A similar incident occurred on my new
system when I put the monitor in sleep mode (Turn off monitor after x
minutes). It also suffered the same fate. I am now scared to enable any
power saving mode. I also read about a similar incident on the internet.

Perplexed
Binny