Hi,
  Happy to see that tone of this mailing list is becoming pleasant
again. Its just that emotions flare up whenever topics about
proprietary s/w are discussed on a free s/w mailing list. What we
needed was a 'gentle' intervention from the moderators.

On Jun 23, 6:54 pm, Anoop Jacob Thomas <anoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The $10000 thing is some kind of information we can use how a giant
> proprietary firm is trying to bash a very popular Free Software. And Firefox
> users may use IE to take that 10000 and they will do all other browsing by
> Firefox. ;) Coz they know how insecure IE is when it comes to online
> transactions and all. :D.

  I wouldn't bet on the security aspect yet. Firefox has far more
documented security vulnerabilities than any other web browser out
there- and by a large margin. I have seen many reports, for example,
this one form December 2008 by Secunia:
http://secunia.com/gfx/Secunia2008Report.pdf
. There are a few other reports too, but I am too lazy to dig them up.
The only argument against this may be that firefox reports risks far
more transparently and patches them far more quickly. So this may not
represent the complete truth.

  Actually IE8 is quite decent in performance compared to its
predecessors. The only reason why I hate it a lot is because they
intentionally corrupt the HTML standards so that M$ can keep the
entire web manageably incompetent. But tell that to normal users - who
wouldn't care about alternate browsers, much less about W3C standards.
Security situation is the same. Crackers tend to target IE more (with
its poor vulnerability reporting and late patches), but who cares? Ask
me how many of my friends learned about the dreaded Conficker worm -
after they got infected with it!

  Just don't expect users' diligence to come to Firefox's rescue. M$'s
dirty tactics will work just as they expect. Users will fall head over
heals for the money. The only way out may be to somehow label this as
an anti-competitive behaviour.

Regards,
Gokul Das

Disclaimer: Any similarity between an FSUG member and a 'normal' user
is purely coincidental and unintended. No disputes over this will be
entertained!