Why free software shouldn't depend on Mono or C#by Richard M. Stallman

Debian's decision to include Mono in its principal way of installing GNOME,
for the sake of Tomboy which is an application written in C#, leads the
community in a risky direction. It is dangerous to depend on C#, so we need
to discourage its use.

The problem is not unique to Mono; any free implementation of C# would raise
the same issue. The danger is that Microsoft is probably planning to force
all free C# implementations underground some day using software patents.
(See http://swpat.org and http://progfree.org.) This is a serious danger,
and only fools would ignore it until the day it actually happens. We need to
take precautions now to protect ourselves from this future danger.

This is not to say that implementing C# is a bad thing. Free C#
implementations permit users to run their C# programs on free platforms,
which is good. (The GNU Project has an implementation of C# also, called
Portable.NET <http://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/pnet.html>.) Ideally we
want to provide free implementations for all languages that programmers have
used.

The problem is not in the C# implementations, but rather in Tomboy and other
applications written in C#. If we lose the use of C#, we will lose them too.
That doesn't make them unethical, but it means that writing them and using
them is taking a gratuitous risk.

We should systematically arrange to depend on the free C# implementations as
little as possible. In other words, we should discourage people from writing
programs in C#. Therefore, we should not include C# implementations in the
default installation of GNU/Linux distributions or in their principal ways
of installing GNOME, and we should distribute and recommend non-C#
applications rather than comparable C# applications whenever possible.

* An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Mono would now
be installed by default in Debian. We have corrected this text, and we are
sorry for the error. *

SOURCE: http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono

--
Anoop Jacob Thomas