On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:32 AM, V. Sasi Kumar<sasi....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 11:14 +0530, Rajeev J Sebastian wrote:
>
>> I feel that Piracy is a very apt term for this, and it is quite like
>> looting and arson of someone else's property. Sorry, I cannot change
>> my point of view merely because of FUD about terminology.
>
> Well, you are free to believe whatever you want. I personally do not
> feel that the view about the term "piracy" is FUD. Because I don't think
> it creates any fear or uncertainty. I think the language we use is very
> important if we want to convey the right meaning. Else, it could lead to
> miscommunication, if not misunderstanding.

It is FUD because it creates fear, uncertainty and doubt in the minds
of genuine FLOSS developers.

In the past, if a FLOSS terminology terrorist chastised me about
various "politically correct" terms (like "GNU/Linux" or "Piracy" or
"Freedom"), my inexperience with these words would lead me to feel
deficient, doubtful and uncertain. Now it is quite the opposite for me
having read some difficult lessons on the subject. It is the
phrase-Nazi who is in fact deficient and uncertain and lacks
understanding about FLOSS or the real world.

Hence, such patronizing emails whenever anyone uses these black-listed
words, simply spreads FUD in the genuine FLOSS development community
rather than get rid of it.

Obviously, I'm not removing any credit from the FSF for the truly
great things some it's members have done for computer science,
software engineering, legal studies and society. That said, the FSF
does not have any monopoly on creating propaganda either; proprietary
software people are also allowed to do that if they want :)

(Feel free to nitpick on the various loaded words I used above).

>> About "sharing" ... don't even get me started on that :)
>
> Of course, everyone is free to have her/his own opinion. But I don't
> understand how one can be a supporter of Free Software and yet don't
> believe in sharing. Of course, that is my problem.

I do believe in sharing. However, I do not think that everyone who
slaps an open source licence on their software is interested in
sharing or knows what "sharing" means. Least of all the people who do
not write any software and yet is known to be Free Software Muthalali

With all due respect, I think it is your problem that you haven't
experienced this so far.

Regards
Rajeev J Sebastian