The purpose of two network cards are
eth0 - for landing the internet connection to the system
eth1 - for connecting to the local network

Here one Linux machine ( a Multihomed PC ) is working as a gateway machine

Internet is shared to the computers on the localnetwork through squid
proxy.  So if we can get internet (browse pages) in any other way (avoiding
eth0), it is possible.

....Means, you can avoid eth0 network card and connect the BSNL modem and
the system by the USB cable provided and share network by running squid.

In my Office I have configured and shared internet by the first method -
around 50 computers with the use of an OLD PIII computer having Debian
lenny.

I have also installed DNS on this system and it improved the performance
greatly and don't feel it is the Old PIII doing all the stuff