If the LAN IP is set to 192.168.1.1 by default, while assigning the ip nos
192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.4 are in the same network ( with appropriate
netmask - if we can set that one - I don't know how to do it in a router).
And then ping the two machines - what is the result?

                                                |  external ip no
                 192.168.1.2     192.168.1.1     192.168.1.3

As the interfaces 2,1,3 are in same network no routing is required.

But how can we check the routing table of this router