Thanks Bipin for the reply...

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM, bipin kumar <bipin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i never said that grub.cfg cannot be edited manually instead i said it was
> not recommended.

I too never said that...
I usually edit grub directly by removing write protection.

> i would like to add that once you comment out
> the unwanted entries, during installation of new kernel packages the
> 'update-grub' will reinsert the older kernels if its still installed
> in the system.Further during this process it will update the grub
> config entries such as  default item, boot timeout etc as read from
> the file '/etc/default/grub'. so the manual changes in the grub.cfg is
> prone to be overwritten during a kernel update process. However it
> does not apply to those offline systems where frequent update is not
> carried out. this is what i could understand from reading through the
> grub2 documentation(but then i am not a geek either).

Like you said, we ordinary desktop users don't update the kernels that
frequently. We go for full distro upgrade or fresh install. So that wont be
a problem. Besides if something bad happens with editing grub, it'll be
handy wont it, those config files putting it back?

But I still don't understand why "editing grub.cfg  is prevented". I hope
somebody can provide a better answer...

Anyway, lets wind up this discussion. This post is diverting from the
topic...