> Did you check whether you are getting internet without dialing. The
>> Internet LED lights up without manually connecting, when the modem is
>> configured to dial the connection automatically when its powered on.
>>

> It was supposed to work that way. Works on windows, But doesn't work on
> linux.
> I prefer to dial manually. Any idea how to put it back? Otherwise I have to
> wait for few days for the BSNL techs to fix it.

If the upgrade customized the configuration for auto dialing it can be
changed by opening the configuration panel of the modem. This can
be accessed by navigating to 192.168.1.1 using a browser. The username and
password will be usually 'admin' without the quotes.
Inside the control panel, navigate to a section for WAN setup. There will be
a list of WAN interfaces there. Delete the one with VPI/VCI = 0/35. Save and
reboot the modem, everythiong should be back to normal.

You might have to manually set your IP address to 192.168.1.x. (x is any
>> value between 2 and 254).
>>

> How to do that?

http://www.onlinehowto.net/Tutorials/System/How-to-change-my-IP-address-in-Network-Manager-Linux/812
The IP address of the computer can be changed in  Ubuntu (which I'm using
now) through the NetworkManager Applet or by editing /etc/network/interfaces
http://www.onlinehowto.net/Tutorials/System/How-to-change-my-IP-address-in-Network-Manager-Linux/812
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting-up-an-network-interfaces-file/

Regards
Ajith Sen

Benjamin Franklin:

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve
neither liberty or security.