as person using computers from DOS era i will say that  linux is user
friendly as any other OS (i've to admit my initial foray into linux
had some difficulties). the percieved lack user friendliness can be
attributed to users understanding  of computers. for a person
conditioned in using windows, if he has type a document he will as
"where is microsoft word?" and not word processor same goes for media
players, document viewers etc. as usage of terminals are concerned 99%
of tasks in linux can be done without use of a terminal, However
techie people who have been using linux for a long time tend give
advices involving use of terminals when one asks for help because they
are comfortable/accustomed with it.

regarding asking for admin password for taking action, increase the
UAC access level higher in vista/win7 and u will see it too will ask
for admin password if u are not logged in as admin in the first place

Bottom line if you put a novice who hasnt touched a computer in his
life time He/She wil find Linux, windows or Mac OS similar in terms of
user friendliness