On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Kartik Singhal <kartiksing...@gmail.com>wrote:

> CAD
>
>> 9. BRL-CAD <http://brlcad.org/> Replaces:
>> AutoCAD<http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13779270>($1,289)
>>
>> Originally developed by the military, BRL-CAD has been around for more
>> than 20 years, so it's both stable and full-featured. Its modeling
>> capabilities have been used to design and analyze vehicles, houses,
>> mechanical parts, weapons systems and more. Operating System: Windows,
>> Linux, OS X, others.
>>
>> 10. Archimedes <http://archimedes.iv.org.br/portal> Replaces:
>> AutoCAD<http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13779270>($1,289)
>> Aimed primarily at architects, Archimedes can create both 2D and 3D
>> designs like AutoCAD. However, because it's still in the earlier stages of
>> development, its features aren't quite as robust as AutoCAD. Operating
>> System: Windows, Linux, OS X

BRL-CAD cannot replace Autocad or any other mechanical CAD softwares. I can
say that because I've been trying BRL-CAD for months, it was very different
from CAD modeler...it looked more like high end analysis software. BRL-CAD
maybe a piece of cake for the developers (US Army R&D), but for ordinary CAD
users like us its very difficult. By the look of it, I think eventhough it
is opensource, not much of contribution (from outside) is done on its
development and hence it remains "geeky".

If anyone has used BRL-CAD on regular basis, please let me know...because I
could use some help from somebody.

I don't know about Archemedes, may be it can replace Architectural CAD
modelers and in effect, it may solve the issue mentioned in this thread.