Friends,

Today's newspaper says that the state government is discussing with
Microsoft for collaborating in education, e-governance and what-not.
This is supposed to bring transparency into governance. But this
discussion itself appears very opaque. It is not at all clear what is
wrong with the present system that uses Free Software in education. And
it is strange that they think that Microsoft can bring transparency into
e-governance. The result will be that the government will pay tons of
money to the company as licence fees since all schools will have to
migrate back to Windoze et al. Moreover, all teachers will have to be
retrained, textbooks will have to be rewritten, and worst of all, it
would be virtually impossible to bring Free Software back not only into
schools but also into higher education. It is to be remembered that
many, if not most research labs in India use GNU/Linux for their
scientific computation and most advertisements for positions in these
labs ask for knowledge of GNU/Linux and some scripting languages. So,
will this mean that our students won't find it easy to apply for these
positions? Finally, the national education policy itself speaks about
encouraging Free Software and sharing. So where is the need to go to
Microsoft now?

Friends, we need to do something about this. I know that with this
government, it won't be easy to push for Free Software, but we certainly
cannot remain silent spectators to this looting.

It would be good if someone can start a representation to the government
and post it to the group or a wiki, so that others can work on it as we
used to do and send it to the Chief Minister, Education Minister and
others. And, perhaps, we can start a media campaign too. Ideas welcome.

Best,
Sasi
--
V. Sasi Kumar