That is true of virtually all educational institutions in the state and most of them in the country too. Exceptions are probably the IITs, IISc,etc. That is probably going to continue for the rest of our lifetimes. Sad, but I dont see chances of any change soon.

Best,
Sasi

-----Original message-----
From: jaseem abid <jaseema...@gmail.com>
To: ilug-tvm@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wed, 31 Oct 2012, 10:35:50 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [fsug-tvm] Wikipedia app for Android

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM, V. Sasi Kumar <sasi....@gmail.com> wrote:

Why are our (Kerala's) students behind in this?

IMHO education in kerala is absolutely hopeless and so bookish.

I was fortunate enough to get into undoubtedly the best engineering college
(NITC) in the state. All the system wants out of students is the ability to
mug up something from standard textbooks and vomit it on paper during the
examinations. Only a very few professors care more than that here. Its sort
of the same in other colleges also. My girl friend id doing degree physics
and is proud of her 3.63/4 GPA from a *pretty awesome college*. I knew more
physics when I was in 12th std. They barely learn anything in the whole
course. Fiddle with a few transistors, make an LED blink with 555
and electronics lab done!  Write surprisingly stupid, silly
and childish exams, get awesome grades ans finally a degree. I have met CS
undergraduates who have not seen CLRS or SICP.  The worst thing is that
colleges is Kerala (especially NITC) even though have a lot of teachers who
barely know anything or teach things, makes the students attend 80%
classes.

A lot of colleges at least allow students to work on a major project alone
during their final semester. We even don't have the liberty to do that
here. Even a lot of private colleges allow that these days.

Personally I don't have a solution to this. I would like to hear from
others.

--
Jaseem Abid
http://jaseemabid.github.com

--
"Freedom i

--
"Freedom is the only law". "Freedom Unplugged"