On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Common Man <kilpauk.kandasw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> So does your s/w cost 75k - 11k = 64k !!!!!
>
> Is the source code of the lab server available free?
>
> This is the most common misconception corporates too carry about open
source. Services on open source is not free just because the code is
available freely.

I remember a story where an ex-employee is called to fix a machine that was
troubling folks for a long time in a factory. He came in, turned a few bolts
and it was all up and running smoothly. He sends a bill for $1000 and the
manager scoffs asking a question " $1000 to turn a few bolts?". The guy
replies "No. $10 for turning the bolts and $990 for knowing which ones to
turn and by how much."

It is always an issue when one has to price knowhow. It does take a
significant amount of time, resources, commitment and drive to get to a
position where one can do things easily. I used to run a similar business 12
years ago. I used to price my services at 50% of the licence cost of an
equivalent M$ solution. I had a fledging business then before I moved on.

Mohan