Hi,

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Selvakumar Rajeswaran
<selva_...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> >1) Principles of Programming Languages (i dont know how many colleges has
> this paper today).
> >2) Design of Algorithms.
> >3) Theory of Computation.
> >4) Operating Systems
> >5) Compiler Design

These subjects are indeed good in nature,because they teach *principles*.

> >6) Graph Theory (i dont know whether this paper is also present today)

No, Its not included in syllabus today!

>Apart from core papers I had opportunity to do the following thro
> electives:
>
> >1) Advanced Operating System - Unix internals case study (this is where I
> formally entered into >UNIX / LINUX world)
> >2) Distributed Systems
> >3) OOAD (followed the text book of Grady Booch)
> >4) Reconfigurable Computing - VHDL programming & Xilinx architectures.

In most colleges students are not allowed to choose the electives :(

>My view point is syllabus framers have done their best to make it robust.

Anna university syllabus says something like for word processing "use
MS-office or equivalent", they should not recommend a *product* in syllabus!
Also there is a subject called visual programming (you studied it?) which
mandates the student/institution to use a proprietary operating system
called Microsoft windows and a Integrated development environment (IDE)
called visual studio. The syllabus should be vendor neutral. Otherwise its a
good syllabus :).

Regards
Arun SAG
--
A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open
windows.