On Wednesday 21 Oct 2009 5:57:01 pm steve wrote:
> I do not know the language but that's not going to stop me from offering an
> opinion !! :)

no problem - I myself am a non Tamilian, but have dived headlong into this.

> Seriously tho', this reminds me of an impressive effort (at least I thought
> it was impressive) to tackle the inconsistency in language translations:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fuel/

but the tamil seems to be b0rked:
http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/fuel/fuel-tamil/fuel_ta.po

I cannot see tamil here.

> It ultimately makes sense to 'standardize' on commonly used computing terms
> irrespective of the context (ie: the UI or application) which uses the
> terms. If this discussion is not directly related or relevant to my
> suggestion, i apologize.

s/standardize/standardise/, s/apologize/apologise/. Context is everything. In
my inaugural post on this thread, I mentioned that depending on the context
there are at least 6 translations in Tamil for the word 'home'. (and none of
them actually mean 'home'). But consistent translatation in the same context
is essential. That is one good thing about launchpad - it digs out
translations from other applications and offers them as suggestions, so the
pressure to standardise is always there. My beef about tamil translation is
that there are too many poets around who do not realise that string
translation is a matter for prose and not poetry.

--
regards
kg