>> I haven't tried doing that and, I have no idea (the limited knowledge
>> of java and i18n that I have just indicates that i18n has been one of
>> the strong points of java for a while) . I could ask around to see if
>> someone has pointers or, perhaps the JOSM developers could provide
>> some inputs if asked. The observation that it does show up properly
>> indicates that the storage of the input is happening correctly, as to
>> why the display/rendering within the application itself does not
>> happen is something I don't have an idea about.

>no java guys in ILUGC?

If you have a tamil language translation file with the content in the format:

s2=\u3053\u3093\u306b\u3061\u306f

etc, please do let me know. I can try it and let you know.

The locale for tamil is ta_IN. Is that what you are using?

Also, have you seen this?
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/intl/locale.doc.html

Regards,
Prem