--- On Mon, 8/2/10, Satish Eerpini <eerp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I am understanding the question right, then you want to
> know the ip
> from a server machine to which the "machine without an OS"
> is
> connected as a client. As someone above has already pointed
> out, how
> can that "machine without an OS" possibly connect to a
> server ?
>
> And also , I am not sure if this is possible , but can
> someone point
> out if a machine can use a networking stack for simple
> communication
> without having to load an entire OS kernel ( no not even a
> modified
> kernel, just a networking software stack ). ? And if it is
> possible,
> are their any software stacks already available which do
> this ?
A client can take IP address, communicate with server without OS. This is what
pxe/ether boot does. pxe/etherboot does following
a.send dhcp request
b.obtain ip address,gate way, next-server address etc.
c.fetch kernel from next-server using tftp.
d.execute the kernel

I don't think people consider pxe/etherboot as OS.

Raman.P
blog:http://ramanchennai.wordpress.com/

      Your Mail works best with the New Yahoo Optimized IE8. Get it NOW!
http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/internetexplorer/