On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 8:10 PM, balaji sivanath <starbala2...@gmail.com>wrote:

> hi,
>
> can anyone tell what is the actual difference between opensource and
> free sofware.i came through documentation but i didnt get it in
> crystal clear manner

Thanks Balaji for bringing this in. I am getting lots of queries on this and
people have got confused with these terminologies. The following are my
opinion and I am open to  have a healthy debate and knowledge sharing on
this topic.

Open Source Software can be classified in to 2 categories: 1. FOSS ( Free
Open Source Softwares) 2. COSS/POSS ( Commercial or Paid Open source
software) COSS  and POSS are my own definitions and I welcome any better
alternates to this.(NON FOSS???)

For example, Microsoft opens its Windows source code available FREE to
anyone then it could be classified as FOSS. But if they decide to charge
then it could be classified as POSS/COSS.

I did not bring the License issue in to this discussion.

Any thoughts in favour or otherwise?

Thanks,

Senthil kumar
  • [Ilugc] differenc... balaji sivanath