On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Harish R <harishind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> As Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay said, there exists Glib. But it does not target
> at STL like functionality directly. It deals with stacks, queues, dequeues,
> singly and doubly linked lists, arrays, binary trees, n-array trees,
> sequences and a few other data structures only. However, it lacks the
> support for graphs, hash tables and several algorithms that exist like
> searching, sorting, traversing etc. Also, Glib sounds kinda complex to me
> personally and this project idea could benefit people like me as I will try
> to create easily usable library functions.

Glib has been in use for a long time now and is not that difficult to
use. Coming up with something like Glib is not that easy either. Glib
has a ton of utility functions and the documentation is easy to
follow, even for stupid programmers like me.
If you feel something is missing in Glib, why not just add the missing
functionality in Glib itself? Especially since Glib has all the
low-level details abstracted for you anyway. It would also help if you
can tell us what aspect of Glib you find to be complex. If it is the
sleep inducing GObject boilerplate code that you might end up writing,
take a look at Vala. Generates C code and makes Gobject based
programming painless.

> As Girish suggested, STL is a C++ thing and not a C thing. I agree totally.
> But in cases when you need to demo the algorithm in class as a teacher or
> use these data structure operations in quick prototyping of an algorithm or
> software you are developing, I think my proposed idea serves well. What say?
> Thanks for the other ideas too.

If I were you, I'd save myself a lot of trouble by choosing a more
'high-level' language like Python or Ruby (even better, Lisp or
Haskell) for prototyping an algorithm. You can get a lot of job done
by writing less code. Its also easier to teach what the algorithm is
about with these languages as the written code is almost similar to a
pseudocode.

--
Sudharshan S
http://sudharsh.wordpress.com