On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
<law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 12:36 +0530, రహ్మానుద్దీన్ షేక్ wrote:
>> I have this requirement to setup a small lab, where we have ~30 PCs,
>> system should be the apt-cacher server.
>
> apt-get install dhcp on the server. Configure dhcp. done. The server
> should have two lan cards - the second one can be connected to the
> internet. The other machines will not be able to access as long as you
> do not install and configure squid.

+ don't give a default gateway in the DHCP service, disable
ip_forwarding in /etc/sysctl.conf and/or setup iptables to drop all
packets to the WAN, coming from the student work stations (put them in
a separate sub-net)

> (btw, not giving the lab internet is a very very bad way of setting up
> an instructional lab)

Having been involved in training, I used to feel the same way until I
realized that some of the students are more interested in surfing than
learning; not doing the exercises etc. and then later claiming they do
not follow the class.   Blocking Internet access was the the solution.

With the apt-cacher requirement, the OP is trying to balance the two needs.

-- Arun Khan