On Monday 14 March 2011 08:41 PM, Aanjhan R wrote:
> Vamsee,
>
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Raja Subramanian
> <rajasuper...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I've heard from quite a few developers that SSDs do
>>> help a lot in this case.
>> Is your computer a laptop or desktop or server?
>>
>> Is your test suite disk IO bound, network bound or processor bound?
> If you suite is disk I/O bound, you will get a significant improvement on a
> SSD.
>
>> Is the test suite read or write intensive or both?
> On SSDs, read and write speeds do not differ as heavily as with
> spindle counterparts. IIRC, SSD reads are of the order of 750 Mbps and
> writes are of the order of 650 Mbps.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'd have to say the test suite is both read
& write intensive - it puts a typical database-backed web application
through it's paces, right from creating users to uploading
images/processing videos to running selenium browser-backed tests for
javascript-heavy parts. Currently it takes 20-25 seconds to run the full
test suite, which is unbearably slow when you're doing TDD. This after
plenty of hacks on the Ruby GC settings and other tricks to cut down the
time as much as possible.

Vamsee.