Greetings,

At the outset let me thank all the replies to the thread.

On 3/21/11, Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 17:10 +0530, Asokan Pichai wrote:
>> I am all for doing these sessions, whatever be their
>> reason for hosting it
>
> if two or more students in a batch of 150 get excited, it is worth it.

We are talking about less than 2% conversion rate here. That is not enough.

I was thinking about pleasantly shocking the senses out by
demonstrating with a low cost fencing device to build a  HA destop
cluster and a floating a VM across boxes as the basic setup for homes
by showing a live video while live migrating VMs: Two decent desktops
with about say 1 gig memory would do for time being with a thin clinet
or an old desktop acting as a front.to the cluster.

One should see it to believe it. It probably has the most lasting
impact on the user.

You may suddenly get >25 seriously willing adaptors immediately after the show.

I know that VMware can do it. In fact hey use this tricks to inject
into the CEO's (the one with the money ) mind. The CTO often learns
implements the technology in an Elephan't loin-cloth (yanai komanam in
tamiz and Haati ka langot in hindi) emergency budgets and does a
mating dance with the cluster for about two years till he gets the
hang of it. After all he has to plogu through this to the fresh
"bright graduates" from Inidan university.

If I am sounding a little cynical about Educational system, I request
the Academic Gods to ignore it as a meaningless chatter from an  HSC
('80) student. I do not wish to reveal my academic credentials further
than that.

If I am sounding a little cynical to the people from industry, I have
seen it from more from the ground than from the rarified air of ego
filled and very afraid IT Management which is crushed between the
sometimes valid and sometimes 'ridiculous' requests on the one hand
and their own knoledge and resource constraints imposed by the
selfsame CEO who ordered it in the first place.

More discussion and ideas can help us build a solid idea base for
future generations.

India has been a leading knowledge generator and vendor for over 10,000 years.

Tolkappiam / niti shastra / artha shastra / yoga / Ayurveda did not
emerge out of a vacuous society.

They were are by pracitioners and not by pure academics sitting in
their ivory towers.

An oh they did not have that "university degree" or whatever it may
churning out money for the institutions and useless graduates who have
to undergo extensive and intensive training to about 12-18 months on a
live projects before they can talk about technology they know.

It is an opportunity to re-look at and re-calibrate our pedagogy,
industry interface, concerned individuals and small businesses to come
together and have a trusted, resilient across geographical borders and
acting like a true intellectual warrior, an intellectual kshatriya",
as it were. No single points of failure in the technology and the
support.

If the above sounded like a sermon, I apologise for wasting your time.

Above are my perceptions and humble opinions.

Warm regards,

Rajagopal