> Think of playing Games in Linux. I bet thats the first thing most school
> children would do. So I think we are just pushing the expenditure away from
> govt and towards the children making the money to flow away from single Co
> to local service centers and such.
What are the rules here ? Can the kids just sell the laptop and buy a
gaming system ??

I think it is necessary to innovate here.

One idea is to hardware lock (say via a custom BIOS ??) the system into
a single supported distro of Linux. They would have to carry the unit to
a service centre to unlock it and install anything else - at which point
they have to provide their student ID.  Such checks are needed to
maximize benefits of tax payer money.