On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Suraj Kumar <su...@careergear.in> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Manokaran K <manoka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Am looking for a small form factor device which I plan to install in
> > clients premises and maintain through SSH over the internet. It should
> have
> > 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD and a decent CPU.
> >

> You need to define "Decent CPU". For what? Will people compile code and/or
> run CPU heavy applications?  Are they just workers using web applications
> and simple desktop applications (such as libreoffice) most of the time?
>

> > Has anyone here bought / assembled a mini ITX based system? Are the
> > components available in Chennai?
> >

> I just went through the exercise of setting up a lab infrastructure built
> up of 15 thin clients and a decent server setup. I assembled my rig afer
> evaluating ready-made alternatives in the market. The reason I chose my rig
> was primarily limited by budget and the need to be low on power consumption
> just so I save myself from rising energy prices.
>
> I documented my experience at ILUGC here:
>
> 1. Initial email asking for suggestions from the list:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.ilugc/73079
> 2. What I chose (and why) and associated experience:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.ilugc/73548
>
> I did not end up with a mini-ITX "sized" cabinet but it was atleast thin
> and allows me to keep it horizontal and the display on top of it. If you're
> willing to invest a bit more, check out
> http://www.disklessworkstations.com/

My requirement is to run a web app on the h/w. It need not have a monitor
and keyboard connected to it. It only needs to connect to the customers
network switch/router.

A HDD is essential. As for the processor, I would prefer Core i3 but a Core
2 Duo should suffice.

I did follow your earlier informative posts. Will go through it again.

thanks,
mano