On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM, David <da...@revmakx.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just have a question on GPL Licensing. We are planning to develop a
> product which will be used to control multiple wordpress sites (Like
> updating, installing, posting) across multiple wordpress sites at once. But
> we found that there is already a service (SaaS) doing that. They install a
> plugin on the required wordpress sites and that plugin is used to do all
> the process. They control that plugin from their panel. That plugin is
> released under GPL license (since its a wordpress plugin).
>
> We feel we can add more improvements to that product. My question is can
> we use that plugin for our own SaaS service? Would that be legally fine?
>
> Thanks
> David

Of course you can use that plugin but according to GPL if you use it then
your work becomes a derived work of the GPL'ed code which means you have to
have your code under GPL. If you are going to add improvements then those
improvements should be in GPL.

In short: If you are ready to put your code under GPL then go ahead with
modifying the code else don't do that.