On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Vigneshwaran <vigneshwaran2...@gmail.com>wrote:

> And I don't think (many people lest) a 6 year old can be fascinated by the
> pleasure of coding. She just might be fascinated by what's happening in the
> screen.

I would say it depends on what you would call `coding`. Well I remember
incredible fascination when a 3 line BASIC program could generate
multiplication tables. I was 10 then and it was on a Spectrum ZX computer
connected to the TV.  What got me even more excited was assigning a sound
note to each key.

...and I assume a 6 year old today is way more informed/exposed/intelligent
than a 10 year old 25 years back :)

> Instead of teaching a kid to write a+b program in BASIC, give her a tablet
> or PC with kids apps that does the same thing in a kid-friendly way. :-)

a+b is what the calculator does for her. I am sure printing her name or her
friend's name 10000 times on the screen is way more interesting.

And as a general reply, I am NOT trying to force my kid to do anything. I
have a feeling she might be good at it. So I want to gauge her interest and
if she likes it, I would provide the tools for her to pursue it. ...Before
the school curriculum in computing can spoil it forever.

Regards,
Arun
http://wondroussky.blogspot.in/

"கற்றது கைமண் அளவு, கல்லாதது உலகளவு" - ஔவையார்
Known is a drop, Unknown is an ocean